I recently had a scare with some past clients after reminding them to get their furnace inspected through the fall pre-season check with the American Home Shield Home Warranty. Turns out the heat exchanger had cracked and was leaking carbon monoxide into the house. It’s unthinkable to consider what could have happened if that wasn’t detected as quickly as it was!!
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced by burning gas, wood, propane, charcoal, or other fuel.
You must have a carbon monoxide detector if you have fuel-burning appliances in your home. And if you have such appliances on more than one level of your home, you should have a carbon monoxide detector on each level. It’s very important to install them near bedrooms too.
For a typical three-bedroom, two-bath home with an attic and basement, the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA) recommends four carbon monoxide detectors.
If something goes wrong with one of your fuel-burning appliances, such as your furnace, fireplace, stove, or hot-water heater, dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can start to circulate throughout your home.
Here are the types of appliances/engines that can produce carbon monoxide:
- Any oil, propane or natural gas furnace, cooking stove or range, refrigerator, hot water heater, other appliance, or fireplace.
- Any wood or wood-burning product such as a wood stove, heat stove, fireplace, wood-pellet stove, box, or parlor stove.
- A running car in an attached garage.
Check Your Carbon Monoxide Detectors Today
Just like smoke detectors, you must monitor your carbon monoxide detector to ensure it is in working order so it can protect you and your family when it’s most needed.
Remember to replace the device after 5-6 years. Check for a manufactured date stamped on the back to determine its age.
Look on the back of the carbon monoxide detector for a UL symbol—for Underwriters Laboratories to ensure it has passed safety tests. This symbol indicates that it has been tested to a widely accepted safety standard. This is a third-party testing agency and lets you know that your device is certified. Unfortunately, there are some detectors out there that haven’t had third-party testing and have failed when exposed to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, according to Consumer Reports.
Don’t forget to replace batteries as needed. Set a time twice each year, like daylight savings, to replace your carbon monoxide detectors’ batteries along with any smoke detectors in your home. Keep in mind that you also can buy carbon monoxide detectors that are hard-wired or that can be plugged in.
State Requirements for Home Sellers and Homeowners
Many states have recently enacted legislation or imposed regulations that require home sellers to install carbon monoxide detectors before a home is sold. Some states also require home inspections by fire officials to make sure the devices have been installed correctly and are in working order before a home is sold.
Michigan Law says:
A carbon monoxide device shall be located in the vicinity of the bedrooms, which may include 1 device capable of detecting carbon monoxide near all adjacent bedrooms; in areas within the dwelling adjacent to an attached garage; and in areas adjacent to any fuel-burning appliances.
The Silent Killer
Carbon monoxide is poisonous to humans and pets so you need to take it seriously as a homeowner.
Mild exposure to carbon monoxide can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, irregular breathing, drowsiness, and confusion. It has symptoms similar to the flu but without a fever. Those with heart disease can experience an increase in chest pain.
Severe exposure to carbon monoxide can cause brain damage and death. Children and the elderly are even more susceptible.
Carbon monoxide doesn’t smell, and you won’t be aware that high levels are being released into the air. That’s why it’s called the silent killer.
Some people who are overexposed simply fall asleep and never regain consciousness. Unfortunately, faulty heating devices are a major cause of carbon monoxide poisoning during cold weather.
If you think you or a family member has been exposed to carbon monoxide, get outside immediately for fresh air and seek emergency medical help. Open the windows of your home to ventilate. Call the fire department and don’t use any faulty appliance/engine until it has been thoroughly checked out or replaced.
How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Improperly ventilated appliances and engines, particularly in a tightly sealed or enclosed space, may allow carbon monoxide to accumulate to dangerous levels.
That’s why it’s very important to have your appliances properly installed and maintained regularly. Have professional service inspections on a timely basis to ensure that your appliances and chimney are in working order and are venting properly. And always follow the manufacturer’s directions when operating any appliances. Other tips:
- Make sure the room where an unvented gas or kerosene space heater is used is well ventilated; doors leading to another room should be opened to allow added ventilation.
- Never use an unvented combustion heater overnight or in a room where you are sleeping.
- Never use charcoal grills inside a home, tent, camper, or unventilated garage.
- Don’t leave vehicles running in an enclosed garage, even to “warm-up” a car on a cold morning.
Beth@bethlittlehomes.com if you have any questions about carbon monoxide detectors. Take the time today to go through your home and look at each of your carbon monoxide detectors and be sure you have one on every floor or consider getting additional devices.
I'm Beth Little and I love helping first time home buyers make their first home more affordable and I love helping sellers looking to move up to their forever home. Let me know how I can help you make your real estate dreams come true.
116 W Main Street
Northville, MI 48167
Buy & Sell
schedule your free consultation